Archive

Monthly Archives: January 2013

It’s done! After around a month of designing, searching for and finding game assets, and a few weeks of coding, I finished my first game for the One Game A Month challenge. I’m really proud of how it turned out. The fact that I actually finished it a few days before the deadline gives me the feeling that I might just make it all the way to the finish line!

The main menu of my january game.

The main menu of my january game.

Strangely, the finishing touch was not the hardest part of Relentless Escape. They were more like the more boring parts. It’s true that it’s really easy to make a small demo and then stop coding. I found out however that it’s not true that finishing the game, going past the 90% mark, is the hardest part. To me, it just FELT like the hardest part. As I said before, the finishing touches were kind of boring. But as you near the completion of the core game, other things start needing attention too. You notice you need a solid menu structure, the crappy graphics become more and more irritating, and those little tasks you were too lazy to do earlier start creeping up higher on your to-do list. For me, these leftover tasks were not very hard. It took some time, but it was anything but hard. The hard part was just pushing myself to do these tasks.

And I’m glad I did! If you’re interested in how it turned out, head over to the game page and download the zipped executable. Extract, double-click and play. Enjoy!

Oh, and if you happen to find any bugs, please let me know. I think I managed to squash most of them but ofcourse I might’ve missed some.

– Bob

This is awesome! I’m almost done with the core part of my game, the actual game itself. It was a substantial amount of work, but I’m glad I got through it. It’s fun to see the game evolving from a state where it only consists of a few fading squares and some debugging variables, to the point where some people say “Hey, this is actually fun to play.”. The two hardest parts of the past three days were tying all the different game components together (the level generator, the character, etc.), and making seamless transitions between gameplay and menus.

So, here are two screenshots (Yes, yeah, I know, #screenshotsaturday was yesterday. Problem?) of what the game looks like.

You uncover the spots as you walk over them, one by one.

You uncover the spots as you walk over them, one by one.

There are nice transitions between the menus and the game, and the game has some animations (which I’m, somehow, very proud of) but that’s not visible on the screenshots.

A pause screen because, well, you obviously need to be able to pause it. Duh.

A pause screen because, well, you obviously need to be able to pause it. Duh.

I never expected to actually come close to finishing this game, haha. The to-do list keeps getting smaller and smaller. Some of the things that I still need to add are for example the possibility to change the difficulty, sound (I already found samples so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem) and I want to add a few gimmicks. I don’t expect the finishing touches to be a big hassle, but oh well, you never know right?

I expect to finish Relentless Escape somewhere this week. Or at least, I hope I do!

– Bob

Hey everyone! I haven’t been posting much in the past month, due to an important test week. But now that the test week is over I’ve got time for coding again! Luckily I haven’t been sitting still in the past two days, so I can proudly show you a screenshot of the progress I’ve made lately:

WOW LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS

WOW, LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS!

Okay, it doesn’t look like much. But it’s something, and that’s what counts! Right? This is the main game screen, where you walk through the “minefield” to get to the exit in the bottom right. The decoration of the room is generated randomly. With Dijkstra’s algorithm (a dutch algorithm, f*ck yeah!) the game makes sure that there always is a solution so you won’t get stuck. It doesn’t account for the difficulty though, so it’s not perfect. I also made other things like a menu, a gamestate machine, a little menu animation and an intro screen, but I’m not going to post that all in this post. You can check those things out when I release the game ;-).

So if I’m right, I’m about halfway finishing my game. The hardest part is (hopefully) done by now, so I think I’m on right schedule since we’re already halfway january. Essentially I only need a furniture detector and a character with whom you can walk around. But, that’s a different task for a different time. Or maybe a task for when I wake up in a few hours. We’ll see, I have a day off so who knows what might happen.

– Bob